The Governmental Council of Asunción holds supreme provincial authority within the Duchy of Asunción. The Head of the Council is His Excellency, Archduke Augusto Benavides. The Council has four members, one of which is the elected representative of the people and government of Asunción before the Imperial Parliament and the national government. This governmental body holds the three powers in the province: excecutive, legislative and judicial.
Creation of the Governmental Council of Asuncion Edit
The Governmental Council of Asunción was created in December 2005; the act that created it: The Carta Magna de Asunción, was submitted to provincial vote and got the majority needed the 22nd December, thus becoming legal. The creation of the Govenmental Council of Asunción wasn't easy. Cardinal Jacques de Beaufort proposed a draft for the provincial constitution of Asunción (Carta Magna) and the draft was accepted entirely but for one article which was changed slightly. After this a voting period commenced the 22nd December and was closed the same day after receiving three of the four votes that could be cast (the fourth voter citizen Alexandre Berthier has given up his citizenship by the means of inactivity). After the Carta Magna was voted on and received the votes of the majority, and argument begun on wether the Imperial Parliament should have a say in it or not. After weeks and weeks of unending bickering and fighting between the two sides, the clonclusion was that Parliament did not have to approve of the provincial government, but only that the authorities of the province should let know in the National Ministry of Interior that a new council had been created. The Minister approved the Carta Magna, and a new provincial government was oficially created.
The Two Sides Edit
The province of Asunción has always been the one with fewest citizens in all the nation, and thus wasn't always very important. But when the creation of the Governmental Council was taking place, two sides were inconciously created. The one formed by former citizen of the Empire and Leader of the former Alexandrian Pride Party (nowadays the People's Democratic Party) Miss Fabiola Douay. And the other formed by His Excellency, Archduke Augusto Benavides of Asunción and His Eminence, The Cardinal de Geneva, Jacques de Beaufort. All three of them were and are deeply involved in the nation's political life. The Two Sides Argument lasted longer than any argument should ever last: it has not yet ended!!! (even though Miss Douay is no longer a citizen of the Empire). However some reconciliatory actions where taken: His Eminence the Cardinal proposed a "Pleasant Chat" in the Offices of Representative Douay, and His Excellency the Archduke proposed a "give in a little to gain a little" strategy to reach an agreement; Miss Fabiola Douay was strict in her opinions and both actions were evetually dismissed.
Carta Magna of Asunción Edit
The text of the Carta Magna of Asunción (provincial constitution) can be read below).
1. The Government of Asunción will seat in the city of Ávila.
2. The Government in Asunción will have no division of executive, legislative or judicial powers.
3. All three powers will be held by the Governmental Council of Asunción.
4. The Council will be presided by the Head of Council.
5. The Head of Council will be the Archduke of Asunción.
6. The Council will also have four Members of Council , which along with the Head of Council manage the government of the province.
7. The Council will pass laws and resolutions, and can also act as a first instance Court.
8. The Representative of the Province of Asunción before the Imperial Parliament for that sole reason will have the right for voice, but not for vote on the Governmental Council.
9. The Members of the Governmental Council are elected by direct ballot by the people of Aunción, with the excemption of one, appointed at his discretion by His Excellency, the Archduke.